Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Oh, the Glamorous Life of a Mother

So, I am sitting here covered in spit-up.  I just got out of the shower and put on clean clothes and put clean clothes on Maggie (her previous outfit being soaked from spitting up 50 million times this morning).  I was nursing the baby to top her up before going to the grocery store, where I've been attempting to go all morning, and when I burped her she exploded and the burp rag on my shoulder was powerless to protect me from the fountain of spit-up.  The baby was covered as well, and screaming.  Meanwhile, Stella is running around without any pants on (she was fully dressed at one point today!).  After numerous attempts to get her to put her pants on I finally got her to bring the pants to where I was sitting, now nursing again, but when I asked her to put her foot in the pants she ran away screaming and hid under the covers on the guest bed.  

I give up.

I told Stella we were NOT going to go to the store today, because she was not listening to me, and therefore she will not have any milk for the rest of the day because we are OUT.  (Never mind the library which I was also hoping to get to so I could return the books which are quietly collecting large fines.)  And then I gave her a big stack of books and told her it was quiet rest time - still in the guest bed, but whatever.  I can hear her happily reading to herself.  Maggie is in my lap, half eating half asleep.  If I can manage to put her down for more than 30 seconds, I'm going straight back into my pajamas.  

I've managed to do 1.5 loads of laundry today, which isn't bad.  At some point I need to finish picking up all of the crap in our bedroom and vacuum the floor up there (and wash the sheets and spray the bed and our clean clothes) because when Jonathan got out of bed this morning a bunch of little devil bugs, I mean fleas, jumped all over his feet.  Did I mention we have fleas?  That was another thing I really needed to get at the store today - hydrocortisone cream for Stella.  She is literally covered in flea bites and has scratched her poor little neck and upper back to pieces.  She looks like she has some sort of horrible rash or disease.  Her room has been completely vacuumed and sprayed (we have this "all-natural" spray stuff that is supposedly safe around children, hope they're right), yet she continues to be viciously attacked by the nasty little things.  The rest of us only have a couple of bites, including my poor little baby. :(  I've been washing as much laundry as I can, and trying to keep the house vacuumed, as this is apparently the best non-poisoning-your-household method for getting rid of them, but there is only so much a (tired) person can do.  We don't have a dog, so theoretically they should eventually die out as long as we keep vacuuming/cleaning (though that is just not going to happen every day), but I'm getting tired of waiting for them to die off!  

Perhaps I should quit talking about the fleas, I just get myself all worked up.  I think my hubby is getting tired of hearing me rant about them - I do tend to go on and on... ;)

So my lovely family was here for Thanksgiving.  Everyone left Sunday night, and it was very sad.  (I figured I could cry as much as I wanted since I just gave birth two weeks ago and can blame hormones.)  But we had such a great time with them.  My family went over to Jonathan's family's house on Thanksgiving and had a lovely feast compliments of QFC (and J's mom).  On Saturday we went to my grandparents', and my aunt and uncle and cousin came up from Oregon.  Of course this was everyone's first time meeting Maggie, and I think she was a hit.  Mom and her sister managed to keep from fighting over her too much. ;)  Auntie Anna was a major help over the weekend, taking Stella to the park several times and chasing her all over the house (Stella is a rather, um, *energetic* child).  I've got such a fantastic family.  (My in-laws are pretty great, too!) :)  

In Maggie news, she is now 2 weeks old.  She is still beautiful and teeny tiny.  I'm pretty sure she's still smaller at this point than Stella was at birth.  (Haven't had her to the doctor yet as I'm still waiting on the paperwork to get her added to our insurance!  It didn't occur to me to request the paperwork before she was born, of course...)  She seems to have a sensitive tummy, and as you may have figured out she spits up a lot.  Stella rarely spit up, even as a newborn, so this is a bit of an adjustment for us.  Jonathan managed to find some gripe water yesterday, and it seemed to help last night.  Overall she is a pretty decent sleeper, despite a few difficult nights.  Stella has been a wonderful big sister.  She is very sweet to Maggie, and hasn't yet shown any jealousy.  Thankfully Stella has gotten lots of attention the past 2 weeks between Daddy taking a couple days off, Jonathan's mom watching her and my family playing with her this weekend.  I'm looking forward to being able to take her out on walks and to the park and stuff as my body is able to handle it.  I'm actually feeling pretty darn good considering I just gave birth 2 weeks ago!  I'm very thankful for that.  I'll try to post about the birth soon, for those that are interested in that sort of thing. :)

And now, the real reason you are at my blog: pictures!  


Stella and Maggie (1 week old)





Decorating Stella's room with Auntie Anna







Stella and Auntie Anna



This one was supposed to be a picture with Anna, but Stella jumped in front of her right as I snapped the picture.  She's just like her father...






Grandma giving Margaret her first bath





Decorating the tree






Okay, so I realise there are hardly any pictures of the baby.  I will try to get some more!! :)

8 comments:

Sarah Partain said...

Love the pics of your gorgeous girls! I am interested in hearing your birth story so please post it! Also, Amos did alot of spitting up, which led to us getting him on generic Zantac (medicine for reflux) that came in a liquid form and we gave him with a syringe. Anyway, it helped immensely! He would spit up entire feeds sometime, soaking whatever was in his path! So I feel your spit up pain!

Grandma Sandy said...

I have a few bites (about 40) myself. I made sure Calvin got his flea treatment a few days early...just in case. Great, great pictures :). I remember a "few" days like yours...they'll get better.
Miss you and love you.

Ashley Hales said...

Ah, hugs. The fleas would just put me over the edge. Well I guess those burp cloths are coming in handy, though perhaps you need more now?! You're doing an amazing job although I'm sure it feels like you're slogging through mud. So glad your family could be there.

Melanie said...

I think you are amazing! It sounds like you have too much going on! I am sorry! You are doing well! But maybe you should slow down (let someone else vacuum and grocery shop; you have a good excuse!). The girls are darling!

Tammy said...

What a terrible morning :(. I am sending some hugs your way. You need them!!! Esp about the fleas - ick! I have dealt w/that before and was not nearly as patient as you. I flea bombed the house. It was a godsend.

Anyway, I LOVE the pic of Stella jumping in front of her aunt to get her picture taken. Her expression is priceless!!!

AnnaSpringer said...

Your comment about how Stella very rarely spit up makes me feel extra special that she spit up on me the first time I met her... ;)
If I could come take Stella off your hands and to the park everyday, I totally would. I haven't gotten near as much (re: ANY) exercise since being home (because I'm too busy sitting on my butt feeling mopey and sad).
LOVE the pictures (obviously) and I'm sorry things are so hard! (uhhh...that's what she said...?)
I love you!

Alyssa said...

fun to read! hang in there, mom extraordinare!

Unknown said...

We love you so much. So proud of you. Can't wait to meet Maggie.

Love,
Liz